Name: Sonia Garapaty, CEO
Company Name: FSC, Inc.
1. Where is your company located? Our main office in Kansas City and we have an office in 9225 Indian Creek Parkway, Suite 300, Overland Park, Kansas 66210.
2. How long have you been in business in Kansas City?
3. How did you get your start in the industry?
In January 1979, Hasu Doshi formed Fire Sprinkler Consultants, Inc. to provide professional fire protection engineering consulting services to architects, owners and contractors. The company started with only one other employee: his wife, Subhi Doshi. I am their daughter and joined in 2005 and am now the majority owner and CEO. Over the past 39 years the company has grown to become “The FSC Family” by adding MEP, code, and commissioning services, and has expanded into the global market.
4. What types of services do you provide?
We are a multi-disciplinary engineering company that provides fire protection, mechanical, electrical and plumbing, code/life safety, commissioning, LEED and sustainable design, and fire and smoke modeling services throughout the United States and internationally.
5. How many employees do you have working for you in and around Kansas City?
6. What is your role on the KCI New Terminal project?
FSC is to provide fire protection and code consulting services.
7. How does the KCI project compare in size/scale to others on which you’ve worked? FSC is accustomed to providing design and consulting services on small and large projects locally as well as internationally. FSC is currently providing fire protection, MEP and code / life safety services for Terminal C, Customs / FIS Facility and our MEP services for Post Gates 1 and 28. FSC was the prime and provided fire protection and MEP services for the $184 million renovation of the KCI Airport (1998-2006) that included passenger terminals, baggage areas, FIS facility, parking and bus facility, and parking garages. FSC also provided fire protection and code consulting services for a new $1.2 billion, 5 million SF aircraft hangar maintenance facility for Saudi Airlines.
8. What excites you most about this project?
While we have worked with many recognizable firms on other comparable projects in different parts of the U.S., we are over-the-moon that we get to invest our time and professional services into modernizing our own local community. We are excited to give the citizens of KC what they asked for. The KCI New Terminal project is building Kansas City’s legacy and solidifying the reputation of growth and innovation Kansas City is quickly becoming known for. We’re excited to be a part of something so important to so many who call Kansas City, home.
9. Describe the impact you think the KCI New Terminal project will have on the local design and construction community and/or the City.
This is a great opportunity for FSC and all the local small design and construction firms that have been contracted; to display their professional services on a very iconic Kansas City project. This momentous project may be the one that opens doors that have been locked for so many WBE’s, MBE’s, and other smaller firms.