Name: Sassan Mahobian & John Chamberlin
Company Name: SK Design Group, Inc.
1. Where is your company located?
Kansas City, Missouri & Overland Park, Kansas
2. How long have you been in business in Kansas City?
29 years (since 1989)
3. How did you get your start in the industry?
Worked as an engineer for other firms for nine years prior to founding SK Design Group, Inc.
4. What types of services do you provide?
SK Design Group offers the following professional engineering and construction phase services:
• Pavement Design/Rehabilitation
• Drainage Studies
• Sanitary and Storm Sewers
• Water Lines
• Parks and Recreation
• Sustainable Site/Land Development
• Schools and Universities
• I & I Studies
• Shop Drawing Review
• Special Inspections
5. How many employees do you have working for you in and around Kansas City?
6. What is your role on the KCI New Terminal project?
We are providing utility design for a portion of the utility systems on the airside of the new terminal project. We are managing the review and coordination of all utility systems on the airside and assisting Garver Engineering the lead Civil Engineer for the airside design team with the management of all civil airside design services.
7. How does the KCI project compare in size/scale to others on which you’ve worked?
We’ve had the good fortune to design the Economy Parking Project at KCI and the new Cerner Innovation Campus located at the previous Bannister Mall site. While this is a very large project overall, our roles is in line with an average project at SK Design.
8. What excites you most about this project?
Wow, what an opportunity to assist with the vision and creation of a new terminal for the citizens of Kansas City. The KCI New Terminal provides Kansas City with the critical infrastructure necessary to stimulate economic growth and tourism for the entire metropolitan area. Hopefully, in the future when our children and grandchildren stroll through the terminal they will smile with pride knowing what their parents helped to create.
9. Describe the impact you think the KCI New Terminal project will have on the local design and construction community and/or the City.
The KCI New Terminal project will have a tremendous impact on the local design and construction community. The New Terminal project provides us with the opportunity to further our airport design experience and the necessary training and knowledge required to compete on other similar airport projects. This project also provides many of our local design and construction partners involved with the project with the same opportunities.